Homemade Blueberry Jam Recipe + How to Store and Freeze Blueberries
Blueberries are considered a powerful “super fruit” with its high antioxidants. It is blueberry season and time to take advantage of this tasty little berry. And what better way to enjoy the fruits of the earth than to pick local berries with the family! Our family goes every year to Santa Barbara Blueberries and we usually come home and make blueberry muffins or pancakes right away. This year we tried homemade blueberry jam which can be effortlessly made and tastes much more delicious and fresh than store bought. If you do not live by a farm, homemade jam can still be made using the freshest berries and fruit you can find.
No need for canning either! Just make and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks in a glass jar or container. If you have left over berries, here is how to freeze them properly.
How to freeze blueberries:
- Pick blueberries.
- Rinse blueberries with a colander and remove any stems or stray leaves. Let them drain out any extra water.
- Pat blueberries dry with a towel. Place a towel on baking sheet that will fit in your freezer.
- Arrange blueberries on the towel lined baking sheet. The towel helps the blueberries not to stick during the freezing process.
- Place baking sheet with blueberries in the freezer for about 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, transfer blueberries to a plastic freezer bag. Squeeze out any extra air and seal tightly.
- Store in freezer.
HOMEMADE BLUEBERRY JAM RECIPE: Per 4 oz. Servings
– 1 cup blueberries
– 2 Tbsp. sugar such as Xylitol
– ¼ tsp. lemon juice
– pinch of salt
- 1. In a medium saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and salt. Mash up the blueberries with a potato masher until the blueberries are squished and released their juices.
- 2. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened, about 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a glass container and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
Meet Danielle and check out her new website all about healthy FOOD with a few crafts! Previously She once had Recipes, Crafts and Home Design on her blog and decided it was evolving into two separate blogs. So, if you prefer home design, please visit and join Delightful Mom Home. For more amazing recipes check her out at Delightful Mom and get ready to be amazed!