How To Prevent Sun Damage Naturally?
Most people think that skin damages can’t occur during winter weather. The fact remains that dryness in the weather can accelerate skin damage. Even during cloudy days, the harmful rays of the sun can still penetrate the clouds and cause skin damage, particularly to people with fair complexion. The good news is that you don’t have dig deeper into your wallet to purchase cosmetic treatments for preventing sun damage. In addition, if you have a dull complexion, you can brighten your skin with the help of homemade recipes. Your skin will remain vibrant, youthful and attractive as long as you resort to a regular skincare routine.
- Use Sunscreen
The importance of wearing a sunscreen protection cannot be overlooked when it comes to preventing sun damage. You simply don’t have to buy just any kind of sunscreen out in the market but rather a good and high quality brand. Look for products that offer protection against UVA and UVB rays of the sun. You should never step outside your house with wearing sunscreen even on cloudy day. Wear sunscreen 20 minutes before moving outside to give adequate time for the active ingredients to penetrate and rest on your skin. A good high quality sunscreen should have a sun protection facto (SPF) of at least 30. This is suitable if you have a fair skin to avoid sun damage. Check out the right sunscreen products that suit your skin type and needs.
- Use Hats/Umbrella
Just because you have worn a sunscreen, it is not a ticket to roam around the way you want. Environmental exposure, sweat or making contact with water wears off sunscreen and makes your skin vulnerable. If you are moving out in the sun, it is recommendable to use an umbrella or wear a hat to shield your skin. Also dress in a way to cover areas of your skin that are prone to sun damage, including your arms and legs. Bear in mind that sun damage can be irreversible and sun damage protection is one of the best approaches.
Homemade Remedies for Sun Damaged Skin
No one is perfect and sun damage can happen to you at times when you think you are safe. This can happen when you step out in to the sun without wearing sunscreen or any outer protection. This can lead to severe damage on your skin. Luckily, if this happens to you, try these homemade remedies in treating sun damaged skin for a speedy relief:
- Splash with water: splattering cold water after getting out of the sun can help to soothe your skin. It is also a great way to keep it moisturized before you apply a moisturizing lotion or cream.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel: gently massage aloe vera gel on your skin to keep it moisturized and hydrated. Aloe Vera has been in use for centuries as a medicinal herb for treating several illnesses and conditions like sun damage, wounds, acne and blotches. Aloe Vera is loaded with essential nutrients and vitamins that accelerate the skin healing process.
- Rose water: it helps in soothing your skin after extended exposure to sunlight. Alternatively, apply a non-alcoholic ph balanced toner to relief your skin from sun damage.
- Skip the sun: if you accidentally step out in the sun and get skin damage, you should try not to get exposed again for at least 24 hours. This will help prevent further damages and kick start your skin’s natural healing process.
Homemade Recipes for Sun Damaged Skin
If you have no idea about the products to treat sun damage on your skin, or you are looking for a pocket-friendly approach when it comes to skin treatment, you can try the following inexpensive and simple ingredients:
- Green Tea: Several studies have shown that green tea is effective in reversing adverse effects caused by sun damage on the skin. In addition, green tea is packed with anti-carcinogenic compounds that are able to prevent skin cancer. Drinking this beverage can help in the fight against harmful rays of the sun by boosting your immune system.
- Potato Facials: this pack can be used if your skin tends to tan after slight exposure to sunlight. Simply massage cold slices of potatoes to instantly take off the tan.
- Cucumber face pack: this is a great ingredient in getting your skin on its feet after sun damage. Cumber face pack can be used on your skin to reverse damages caused by exposure to sunlight. Use an eye mask when using facial packs to protect your eyes. Cool cucumber face pack in a freezer before using it on your skin.
- Tomato facial: tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant which has been shown to be effective in protecting the skin against sun damage. On top of adding tomatoes on your regular meals, prepare a facial and smudge it on your face, let it dry and rinse with water.
- Salmon: it is loaded with omega 3 fatty acids which have anti-inflammatory effects for reducing sensitivity of the skin to sun exposure.
- Lemon juice: when combined with glycerine, lemon juice reverses tanning that occurs due to sun damage.
Video: Home Remedies To Brighten Your Skin
Exposure to sunlight can cause damage on your skin. Wearing sunscreen is paramount in any skincare routine. If sun damage happens, it can be reversed with simple homemade ingredients.
Ella James is pursuing Health Services Administration degree from St. Petersburg College. She enjoys reading articles related to Health, Fitness, and Technology. She specializes in writing articles about Health, Fitness, Beauty and Skin Care. She also likes to share tips for creating the ultimate skin care regimen for a healthy complexion. Get connected with her on Facebook and Twitter.